Nicole was out with a friend the other night, but before that she said she had a craving for some mac and cheese. I found this gem on the Beachbody Blog, and modified it a little bit. The boys loved it! Nicole needed a little extra pepper though!
- 4 oz. dry whole wheat elbow macaroni (or pasta)
- 4 tsp. organic grass-fed butter (or organic coconut oil)
- 2 Tbsp. unbleached whole wheat flour
- 1½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1¼ cups freshly grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 cups cooked chopped chicken breast, boneless, skinless
- 6 cups chopped broccoli florets, steamed
- 1 tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
Cook macaroni according to package directions. (Do not use salt or oil if suggested in directions.) Set aside.
Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat.
Add flour; cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute, or until brown (don’t let it burn).
Slowly whisk in almond milk; cook, whisking constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until mixture thickens and there are no lumps.
Reduce heat to low. Add cheese; cook, whisking constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until melted.
Add macaroni, chicken, broccoli, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute, or until heated through.